Sunday, June 21, 2009

Of Bees and Mist

LibraryThing book review...
Of Bees and Mist
by Erick Setiawan

Meridia grows up in a family where her mother and father both treat her horribly. Her parents seem to forget that Meridia even exists. She then meets Daniel and hopes that her life will change for the better. She moves in with Daniel's family and soon things are worse than they were with her own parents. Daniel's mother is wonderful at first, then her true colors start showing and Meridia is stuck between her husband and her mother-in-law. It is a war and both women are determined to win...

I am probably the only person on the planet who didn't just love this book! I read it for the Barnes & Noble First Look program and I thought it was just plain strange. There are lots of unusual things happening in this story from mysterious mists, to swarms of bees, and all kinds of other strange things. I got frustrated with the never ending obstacles facing Miridia-she goes from one battle to the next. She never seems to catch a break and it gets old after a while. The characters were vibrant and very real, but the story just didn't do it for me.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

Sorry you didn't like it Julie. This is one I'd love to read but I never did get a copy. Hope your next pick is better!