Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Forgotten Garden

LibraryThing book review...
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

A little girl is left alone on a dock with only a small, white suitcase. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife, but she never tells her name and becomes "Nell." Nell passes on and leaves a cottage in Cornwall to her granddaughter, Cassandra. Cassandra makes the journey to England to solve the mystery of Nell's origins.

This is one complicated story that can't be summed up in just a few sentences. I couldn't wait to read "The Forgotten Garden" because I loved Kate Morton's first book, "The House at Riverton." This story, however, just didn't do it for me. It was really long and the last half of the book dragged for me. The switches in time and place were somewhat confusing. There are many characters and I found it hard to keep track of all of them. Nell and Cassandra were my favorites, though, great characters.

7 comments:

Darlene said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one Julie. I have it hanging out on my shelves somewhere.

Literary Feline said...

I've heard other people make similar comments about this one. I haven't yet read the author's other book, but I do want to.

Kaye said...

Wow, really? I loved it, every page! I thought it was one of the best books I read this year.I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I did like The House at Riverton too but a lot was left out of that one.

Marie Cloutier said...

Ah well. Sorry it didn't work out.

Julie said...

I know, I thought I would just love this one, especially after reading The House at Riverton...loved it! Bummer:(

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

What a nice blog, I just cam across it. I have Forgotten Garden coming in the mail. Great post.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the review! I haven't heard of this author, but the book sounds like an interesting premise. Since the execution of the idea doesn't sound so good though, I think I'll put The House at Riverton on my wishlist instead!