Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Diary


LibraryThing book review...

by Eileen Goudge

Sisters Emily and Sarah discover the diary of their mother while cleaning out their mother's attic. Their mother, Elizabeth, has had a stroke and is in a nursing home close to death. The sisters begin reading the diary and are surprised to find that their mother had fallen in love with another man, her true love, not their father. Both are shocked and begin to question all that they have known about their parents...and about themselves.

This is a sweet, sweet story from one of my very favorite authors. It is a quick read, but one that will melt your heart. I do think we all forget that our own parents were once young and madly in love-this story reminds us. The Diary tells two stories; the past through Elizabeth's diary and the present through sisters Emily and Sarah. I only wish this book had told us more, I wanted more details and I wanted more about Elizabeth and her husband. The ending is a lovely surprise, an unexpected gift.

5 comments:

Bingo said...

Eileen is not only a wonderful writer but a kind and generous person. She is the first author I wrote directly to when I started reviewing and we have been email friends ever since. She even personally sent me the first book DOMESTIC AFFAIRS herself, signed, while on her way out of town so that I would get it sooner. THE DIARY is a wonderful story and I totally agree with you about not remembering out parents were young once. I love when an ending literally makes me say "Ah-ha!" out loud! Good review, Julie.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've never read anything by this author, but surprisingly I bought this book. Glad you liked it. The synopsis really appealed to me.

Cathy said...

Nice review! I've never read anything by this author - I will add her to my list of TBR authors.

I just nominated you for the Humane Award - stop on by to pick it up.

http://oesbunny.blogspot.com/

Julie said...

Thanks, that is awesome!!! I am very proud:)

Darlene said...

Nice review Julie. I'd love to read this one. It sounds wonderful.