Saturday, January 17, 2009

Throw Out Fifty Things


LibraryThing book review...
Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find your Life
by Gail Blanke

Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life gives you four basic rules for throwing things out and then goes into more detail about each room in your house. Gail Blanke begins with the physcial stuff in your home (bedroom to garage), then moves on to your office, and ends with the mental messes. As she goes through each room, she gives suggestions for what should be thrown out and each area to consider. She includes helpful little tips throughout the book and a quick review of the steps at the end of each chapter.

I found this book easy to read, but I really did not get that much out of it. I have read organizing books by Julie Morgenstern and I found them to be much more comprehensive. Gail's big rule is to only count items once....for example, if you throw out ten shirts, they only count as one. I think that is just ridiculous; if I throw out ten shirts, I am counting it as ten! She repeats this rule over and over throughout the book-it gets old.

3 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I'm a bit of packrat... but only to the important things- like books!

Luanne said...

Gotta agree with you - 10 shirts are 10 items, not one!

Literary Feline said...

I am sorry this one wasn't quite as good as some of the other organization books out there. I admit I do have a habit of keeping things around--I just hide them in closest and drawers so upon first glance you'd never know. ;-) I do try and go through my closets and drawers a couple of times a year when the throw-out mood strikes.